Thursday, November 6, 2008

serving other bartenders is almost as good as sex

Four bartenders came into The Seafood Restaurant last night from three separate bars. They all work in the same mall where I do. They have all waited on me in the past at their respective establishments. One of them was very vocal about how much he likes it when I drink at his place. It's not just about tipping well, it's also about being a good regular.

I enjoy regular status at a few bars in this city. As I become acquaintances with more and more bartenders, I become an instant regular almost wherever I go. I hate to sound like a prick, but the feeling you get when you walk into a bar on a busy Saturday night (after working an eight hour shift yourself) and are greeted by name and with a drink when there are twenty-plus other people vying for the bartenders eye is one of the greatest feelings on this planet. It's made extra special if you breeze by the bouncer with a nod and a fist bump and proceed to carry-on a brief conversation with every bartender behind the bar that night, the manager on duty (if he/she is worth talking to), and whichever attractive server you have either drank with or hit on will being well lubricated.

This is not to say that I am an alcoholic. I just need the winding down phase post-shift and consuming a couple of beverages helps me get out of go, go, go mode and into I'm ready for sleep mode. Ask any bartender who has worked behind a bar long enough and they will tell you that the post-shift drink is one of the most important rituals we have. It's a time to reflect upon (or forget) everything that happened that shift. It's also a great time to bitch about your management, staff, and customers with other bartenders. Trading stories and bending a sympathetic ear show you that you are not alone in this crazy profession. Doing that while waiting on other bartenders and having them tip you generously is almost better than sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment