Saturday, November 8, 2008

Just shoot me

I worked a short shift last night. I spent the afternoon running around trying to figure out how to get my car out of impound. (I will get it on Monday and its going to be much less than I thought. Yeah!!!) I went in at five and worked with two of my female bartenders. I was supposed to close, but I gave that to the bartender that usually closes on Friday. (I still don't know why The Bar Manager gave me that close.) I asked the other bartender if I could leave first so I was only there for three and a half hours and that was long enough! We had some good customers at the bar. One of the regulars, Michael, was there for a long time waiting for his wife and drinking 12yr Glenlivet. They stayed and had dinner at the bar. I love people like that. They hang out, talk to us, spend money and tip well.

Once again my life was made worse by the presence of the management. I'm getting tired of being treated like I'm five. Talking down to your subordinates is not a good way to manage effectively. Quick note to all present and future restaurant manager: HIRE COMPETENT PEOPLE AND TREAT THEM LIKE HUMAN BEINGS!!! Now, I realize this is hard to do at a new store opening when you need to hire anywhere between thirty and one hundred twenty front of house employees. But over a year after opening, when you are still hiring idiots, guess what, they are going to act like idiots and do stupid things that will cost you customers and, therefore profits, bonuses, tips, morale and so on and so forth. (Can you tell I'm frustrated?)

I just needed a break from The Seafood Restaurant. I worked three hours this morning. It was a nice, short, good shift. The opening bartender was one that I love to death and can talk to about anything. (She is also helping me with getting my car back.) I did not have an opening server. The opener has not worked in over a week. He stopped taking his insulin last weekend, had a diabetic episode and was admitted to the hospital. He did not work either of his shifts earlier this week. Once again our stellar management team did not communicate with anyone or think ahead. So, no opener. It worked out well, though. The servers that came in at eleven finished opening for me and we only had four tables in The Seafood Restaurant by the time that I left.

I'm not working tonight. It's weird not working on a Saturday night. I haven't had a Saturday night off in months. In the restaurant business we work all weekend. That's what I usually do. I think I'm just going to hole up in the house and watch a movie and catch up on my reading. Happy Saturday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment