Monday, December 29, 2008

Talk about getting your ass kicked!

So, last night ended up being a very bad and very good night for me. I usually open on Sundays as a manager and stay until sometime between five and seven. The closing manager shift usually rotates between the dreaded Bar Manager and The Service Manager. Because of the Christmas and New Year's holidays things were different this week. I had originally requested off a few days between Christmas and New Year's so I could go to Tennessee and see my parents and brothers and my newborn nephew. Because of my legal troubles in November and the fact that my license is suspended for a year, I was not able to make the trip. So, The GM worked yesterday with The Bar Manager. I closed the bar because Christi is on a ski trip right now with her friends. Boy did she miss out on a night! Sunday nights are usually pretty slow, but steady. We do about one hundred to one hundred fifty covers and about three to four thousand in sales. Not last night though. We did almost three hundred covers and almost seven thousand in sales! There is usually a cocktail server scheduled, but because we are starting to go into the slow season, this was the first week that they didn't schedule one. The cocktail will get one or two tables and just eat up time on the clock for four hours or so. We had six servers in the dining room, which is plenty. We went through about four hours of hell. The Bar Manager ran service well for most of the night. I helped some people on the wood, but mainly waited on cocktail tables. Some of my regulars came in and I felt bad because I know they did not get the best service, but they understood and still tipped well. Needless to say, we went on a wait so people came into the bar to wait for their tables and get a drink, which would have been fine if I didn't have the bar and the bar tables. So I had people waiting at the bar and at tables and people eating at the bar and at tables and the service printer going crazy. It sucked, but I made a ton of money. One of the managers of The Tavern, Cory, came over right when we were closing to have a drink in between doing inventory. When I got done I went over there to see her and all the bartenders there and have a drink while they were closing. I met up with some of my people from work at Bar X and had another drink then caught the bus home and watched some TV with my roommate. I have had a crazy few days and made so much money, which I need to pay all the bills that seem to accumulate even more quickly right now. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment